Hey guys, today I was using my external hard drive and it suddenly got really slow. So I safely removed the HDD and plugged it back in again. When I plugged it in it didn't open up and I could access any of the files. When I checked my disk management it showed that it turned in a RAW format. Is there any method can help to fix RAW external hard drive as well as get my lost data back? Thanks!
When an external hard drive is damaged and becomes RAW, you usually would get error messages such as "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?", "The volume does not contain a recognized file system" when try to open it, or file system showing as "RAW", "unknown" when checking in Disk Management.
RAW external hard drive error may be caused by damaged file system, bad sectors, virus attack, unsafe ejection, unexpected shutdown or other inappropriate operation. But in general, these reasons can be divided into file system error and hardware problem.
Actually, RAW file system refers to the state when the file system of a drive has been lost or can't be recognized by the Operating System. As file system is indispensable for the Operating System to read data from a drive or write data to it, without it the drive can no longer be accessible or usable. The widely-accepted method to fix/repair RAW external hard drive is to format it, but if you directly format the RAW drive, you will lose data inside it.
Easy way to fix/repair RAW external hard drive
For users who have useful data on the RAW external hard drive and those who doesn't have, this passage offers two different solutions:
Solution 1: If you have useful data on the RAW external hard drive: perform data recovery before fixing
If you still have important files on the RAW external hard drive, you should recover data from RAW external drive before fixing. As long as your external hard drive doesn't have hardware problem, the best data recovery software - iBoysoft Data Recovery can help you to get lost data back.
iBoysoft Data Recovery is a professional & free data recovery software that can recover data from RAW external hard drive, recover data from formatted external hard drive, unrecognized external hard drive, corrupted external hard drive, inaccessible external hard drive, not formatted external hard drive, recover files deleted or lost from external hard drive, etc. on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
Follow the steps below to recover data from RAW external hard drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery:
1. Download and install iBoysoft Data Recovery on your computer.
2. Connect the RAW external hard drive to your computer.
3. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery, and select the RAW external hard drive.
4. Click "Next" to search for all lost files on the RAW external hard drive.
5. Preview the listed recoverable files, choose those you want, and click "Recover" button to get them back.
Lastly, have a check to ensure you have got all lost data back. After successfully restored all lost data, you can fix the RAW external hard drive by formatting as the steps below without worrying about data loss.
Solution 2: If you don't have any useful data on the RAW external hard drive: directly fix it by formatting
1. Go to This PC, My Computer or Disk Management, find the RAW external hard drive.
2. Right-click the RAW external hard drive to choose "Format".
3. Set format information, like file system, allocation unit size, volume label and format options (the default format option is Quick Format).
4. Click "Start" and the format operation will finish within minutes.
Still have questions?