I have recently discovered that I cannot access my USB flash drive. When I try to open it on Windows computer, I receive a pop-up message saying "This drive is not formatted, would you like to format it?" It shows as RAW when I check in Disk Management. Is there any way to convert RAW to FAT32 without data loss? Any help would be appreciated!
FAT32 file system is widely used on various storage devices, such as USB flash drive, memory card, and external hard drive. But sometimes, your drive which originally has a FAT32 file system may get damaged and then becomes RAW file system.
Different from FAT32, exFAT, NTFS or HFS+ file system, RAW file system is not a useable file system but refers to the state when the file system of a drive has been lost or can't be recognized by the Operating System.
No matter it is USB flash drive, memory card, or external hard drive that becomes RAW, you can no longer use it or access data inside it. The most common way to make a RAW drive useable again is to convert RAW to FAT32 by formatting it, but that will make you lose data saved on it. Is there any way to convert RAW to FAT32 without data loss?
An easy way to convert RAW to FAT32 without data loss
To keep the security of your data, you are recommended to recover data from RAW drive before converting RAW to FAT32.
As long as your RAW drive doesn't have hardware problem, you can perform data recovery by using iBoysoft Data Recovery, a professional data recovery software that can recover data from RAW USB flash drive, RAW memory card, RAW SD card, RAW external hard drive, formatted, corrupted, inaccessible hard drive, external hard drive, USB flash drive, memory card, recover deleted files even if emptied from Recycle Bin, etc. on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
Step 1: Recover data from RAW drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery
1. Download & install iBoysoft Data Recovery on the PC, and then connect the RAW drive to the PC.
2. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery, and select the RAW drive.
3. Click "Next" to search for all lost files on the RAW drive.
4. Preview the searching results, choose those you want, and click "Recover" button to get them back.
5. Check to ensure you have recovered all lost data.
Step 2: Convert RAW to FAT32
After you have successfully recovered data on the RAW drive, you can convert RAW to FAT32 by format without worrying about data loss.
1. Go to This PC, My Computer or Disk Management, find the RAW drive.
2. Right-click the RAW drive to choose "Format".
3. Set up file system as FAT32, and assign a volume label to it.
4. Click "Start" and the format operation will finish soon.
If you want to convert RAW drive to NTFS, please find detailed tutorial at how to convert RAW to NTFS without data loss.
Still have questions?